ALCOS Guidelines for Written Assignments
Guidelines for Written Assignments
Click here to download Guidelines for Written Assignments as a PDF file.
- ALL PAPERS SHOULD BE TYPED, double-spaced, on one side of 8 ½” by 11” paper. Indent paragraphs five spaces. Margins are to be 1” on all four sides of each page.
- ALL PAPERS SHOULD HAVE AN ALABAMA COS COVER SHEET. The cover sheet includes your name, address, email address, date, local pastor status, conference information, course number and name, session, and name of instructor.
- ALL PAGES OF EACH PAPER SHOULD BE NUMBERED in either the upper right-hand corner or bottom center of each page. Please also include your last name before each page number.
- SUBTITLES or divisions of the manuscript may be indicated by either capitalization or underlining.
- FOOTNOTES or ENDNOTES should be provided for references or quoted material. These notes should include, in this order: Author. Title. (City: Publisher, date), page number. Other information may be added. Ex.: Outler, Albert C. Theology in the Wesleyan Spirit. (Nashville: Tidings, 1975), pp. 28-29.
- PUNCTUATION should be consistent; clarity of meaning is the primary purpose of punctuation. Edit and retype material as needed and check spelling in a standard dictionary.
- ALL PAPERS SHOULD ATTEMPT TO ELIMINATE DISCRIMINATORY LANGUAGE—for example: racism, ageism, sexism, classism, and prejudicial usage concerning handicapping conditions.
Instructions for Mailing Assignments (If asked to submit it before the first class)
- BEFORE MAILING make a copy of your precourse work assignments and registration forms.
- STAPLE ASSIGNMENTS for each course separately in the upper left-hand corner. Do not use binders or plastic covers on your assignments—they will be discarded. Use only an Alabama COS Cover Sheet for each course assignment.
- MAIL FLAT IN A STURDY 9” X 12” or similar size manila or Postal Service envelope. Do not fold your assignments to fit letter size envelopes.
- SUGGESTION: SEND YOUR PACKAGE BY CERTIFIED MAIL. This will give you a receipt that your package was mailed and received.
Suggestions for Preparing Assignments
- Begin your reading and assignments immediately. You have entered upon a life-changing journey. Let this learning be a part of your devotion and study as you make preparations for ministry. This learning is intended to be year-round.
- Establish a relationship with your Conference Mentor. Make plans to meet monthly. If a Conference Mentor has not been assigned to you, contact your Annual Conference Local Pastor Registrar. Share your book list and assignments with the Mentor. Decide on the subject for each meeting but leave time to discuss issues with which you are currently dealing.
- Establish a relationship with a lay committee that will meet with you at least twice a year to support your ministry, including your COS. This may be your Pastor-Parish Relations Committee or another group that includes some members of that committee. Share your book list and assignments at the first meeting. They are to assist your growth, both in ministry in this parish and in your relationship to the Annual Conference.
Discover, Develop and Deploy Spiritual Leaders to Make Disciples of Jesus Christ for the Transformation of the World.