March 17, 2023
Campus Worship Leader
Full-time, exempt (35-hours per week) or 2 part-time positions (Modern Worship & Student Ministry)
BUMC MODERN WORSHIP & OTHER CHURCH-WIDE WORSHIP & EVENTS
- Select and plan music for Sunday modern worship collaborating with Senior Pastor and Worship Planning Committee
- Lead the congregation in worship and direct the flow and elements of the service
- Recruit, schedule, rehearse, lead, and support praise band members (musicians and vocalists)
- Provide lead sheets/charts and arrangements for rehearsals and services
- Encourage, coach, support, and affirm members
- Provide lyrics and other projection material to Director of Production for use during worship services and other events
- Invest spiritually and personally in the lives of members of the modern worship & student ministry praise bands
- Collaborate with all staff (Worship & Arts department, Student Ministry department, Children’s Ministry department, etc.) to accomplish departmental and church-wide goals especially as it relates to church events, service participation, retreats, etc.
- Provide worship support & leadership for other areas of the church as needed (e.g., Vacation Bible School, other ministry programs, church-wide multigenerational events & programs) as requested
- Communicate regularly with W&A Associate Director and Worship Coordinator regarding scheduling, budgeting, and worship service logistical needs
- Attend weekly Worship & Arts department meetings as scheduled
- Secure worship leader substitute when absent
- Pray daily for this church, the church of Jesus Christ, its people, its needs, and its faithfulness (From other job descriptions)
STUDENT MINISTRY DEPARTMENT
- Participate in the creative planning, development, and implementation of Sunday night series as a member of the Student Ministry Team
- Lead, mentor, train, and empower students to be worship leaders through praise band participation and audio/visual tasks
- Minister to, encourage, shepherd and care for all youth by meeting regularly with students and fostering relationships with them as to encourage their spiritual development and leads them to a life of Christian discipleship
- Recruit students to participate in youth praise bands (6th-8th praise band and 9th-12th praise band) and build lasting relationships with youth
- Engage students during worship and provide the best atmosphere for youth worship
- Ongoing communications with praise band members and other volunteers regarding rehearsals and worship leading opportunities
- Plan, coordinate, and rehearse student praise bands weekly and lead praise bands as a part of Student Ministry Sunday night programming.
- Plan, coordinate, and rehearse student and/or professional praise bands as a part of Student Ministry events and trips, depending on the trip need
- Pursue opportunities to use music and worship as a vehicle for ministries beyond our church walls
- Attend weekly Student Ministry planning meetings as requested
FINANCE & ADMINISTRATIVE RESPONSIBILITIES (from other job descriptions)
- Develop, manage, and implement Worship & Arts budget for assigned areas in cooperation with Director of Youth & Children’s Choirs, Associate Director of Worship & Arts, and Director of Finance, managing expenses effectively throughout the year
- Collaborate with W&A staff, Student Ministry staff, and other BUMC ministry departments to ensure worship, choir rehearsals and events, and other worship & arts activities coordinate with the other ministry opportunities across BUMC calendar
- Work with all BUMC administrative departments (e.g., Finance, IT, Human Resources, Facilities, Communications, etc.) as required to ensure proper processes, guidelines and procedures are being followed by all staff, laity, and partners/guests
- Maintain a constant program of self-improvement staying current with worship trends and song availability in music ministry
- Provide music leadership for BUMC staff meetings and other staff events as requested
- Work with other departments to maintain a current data base of worship songs and lyrics in ProPresenter
- Organize and maintain all sound equipment, musical charts, for student ministry praise bands
- Schedule and secure payment for all contract musicians
- Support ministries of BUMC and be an active participant in worship and other ministry opportunities
- Attend monthly BUMC All-Staff meetings as scheduled
- Passionate leader with a love for God and a heart for people
- Understand spiritual components of worship leadership with an understanding of United Methodist (Wesleyan) worship traditions and theology. Knowledge of Getty worship music style recommended.
- Ability in wide range of musical styles including Christian classics (hymns) and contemporary worship providing musical leadership to volunteers and professional musicians
- Piano/keyboard or guitar proficiency required
- Creative thinker with strong leadership and organizational skills
- Ability to recruit, train, delegate, appreciate, and retain volunteers
- Patience working with students who might be less experienced musically
- Understanding basic finance and budgeting processes
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Adaptable and flexible in a changing work environment while approaching tasks and duties with a positive attitude
- Ability to handle sensitive information with the highest degree of integrity and confidentiality
- Enjoys a team environment and is service-oriented
Skills and Equipment Knowledge
- Able to setup, run, and maintain equipment used during worship services (e.g., mics, amplifiers, sound boards, stage lighting, video recording & editing)
- Proficient with ProPresenter and Planning Center software
- Proficient with basic AV hardware (sound, mix, video) for Student Ministry responsibilities
- Competent in Microsoft Office software and other web-based technology with ability to learn computer programs quickly and use them proficiently
Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in music-related field required
- Three (3) – five (5) years of worship and praise band leadership experience required
- Understanding of Wesleyan theology and Methodism strongly preferred
- Experience with playing multiple instruments and singing lead vocals
While this position does not have direct reports, it does coach and mentor musicians, vocalists, and other volunteers.
The employee will be in a professional office environment as well as a large sanctuary and other church gathering spaces which may have loud noise levels at times. This position routinely uses various musical, production, electronic, and other AVL equipment as well as standard office equipment.
Position is a combination of sedentary and standing and is required to talk, hear, stand, walk, sit, stoop, bend, reach, squat, and crawl. Employee must occasionally life or move items up to 50 pounds.
Expected Hours of Work
Days and hours of work are Sunday - Thursday, 35 hours per week. Position requires additional hours during certain projects. Evening and weekend work required for retreats/choir tours, special events, and worship services.
Weekend travel for trips and retreats with overnight stays is required.
Organization: Brentwood UMC
Address: 309 Franklin Road Brentwood TN 37027
Email: Click to email
Discover, Develop and Deploy Spiritual Leaders to Make Disciples of Jesus Christ for the Transformation of the World.