2019 Special Session of General Conference
The Council of Bishops announced the call to a Special Session of the General Conference on Feb. 23-26, 2019, in St. Louis, Missouri.
The special meeting of The United Methodist Church’s top lawmaking assembly will be limited to acting on a report by Council of Bishops, based on the proposals from the Commission on the Way Forward. The 32-member commission, appointed by the bishops, was authorized to examine paragraphs in The Book of Discipline concerning human sexuality and to explore options to strengthen church unity.
General Conference, which usually meets every four years, is the only body that can speak for the denomination.
“The Council of Bishops encourages the entire church to continue in deep, unceasing prayer for Holy Spirit breakthroughs for the Commission on a Way Forward and the Special Session of General Conference,” said Dakotas-Minnesota Area Bishop Bruce Ough, the president of the Council of Bishops, in a letter released Tuesday, April 25, 2017.
More information at www.umc.org/topics/general-conference-2019-special-session
More information on the Commission on a Way Forward at www.umcna.org/cowfinformation
Post General Conference Resources
Read Updates from the North Alabama Conference
- Friday, February 22 - Special Session of General Conference starts tomorrow
- Saturday, February 23 - Day of Prayer
- Sunday, February 24 - Business begins by prioritizing legislation
- Monday, February 25 - Legislative Committee
- Tuesday, February 26 - General Conference adopts Traditional Plan
Final Report from the Commission on a Way Forward
- Read or download the report in English
- Read or download the report in French
- Read or download the report in Portuguese
- Read or download the report in Spanish
- Read or download the report in Swahili
Judicial Council Decision
Praying Our Way Forward
Daily Christian Advocate
- Advance Daily Christian Advocate (ADCA)
Council of Bishops
- Council of Bishops’ letter to the global LGBTQ community (12/28/2018)
- Council of Bishops issues statement regarding the Judicial Council Decision (10/26/2018)
- Archives for 2019 General Conference Press Releases
- Latest News about General Conference 2019 from United Methodist News Service