Job Description for District Lay Leaders
in the North Alabama Conference
Includes non-negotiable, minimum requirements for any conference, district and local church leadership position in the North Alabama Conference
- Have a personal faith in Christ and be committed to Christ as Savior and Lord.
- Nurture and cultivate spiritual disciplines and patterns of holiness.
- Teach and model generous Christian giving with a focus on tithing as God’s standard of giving
- Acknowledge a call by God to completely give themselves to ministry, following Jesus’ pattern of love and service.
- Communicate persuasively the Christian faith in both oral and written form.
- Make a commitment to lead the whole Church in loving service to humankind.
- Give evidence of God’s gifts for ministry, evidence of God’s grace in their lives and promise of future usefulness in the mission of the Church.
- Be persons in whom the community can place trust and confidence.
- Accept that Scripture contains all things necessary for salvation through faith in God through Jesus Christ; be competent in the disciplines of Scripture, theology, church history, and Church polity; possess the skills essential to the practice of ministry; and lead in making disciples for Jesus Christ.
- Be accountable to The United Methodist Church, accept its Doctrinal Standards and Discipline and authority, accept the supervision appropriate to this ministry, and be prepared to live in the covenant.
- Complete dedication of themselves to the highest ideals of the Christian life. To this end, they agree to exercise responsible self-control by personal habits conducive to bodily health; mental and emotional maturity; integrity in all personal relationships; fidelity in marriage and celibacy in singleness; social responsibility; and growth in grace and in the knowledge and love of God.
The District Lay Leader requirements shall include all references and duties assigned to “District Lay Leader” as cited in the 2016 Book of Discipline.
- Be a resident of the District in which the Lay Leader lives and a member of a church in the District.
- Represent the laity of all churches in the District.
- Serve as the District Superintendent’s laity counterpart in promoting District and Conference programs.
- Serve as an active member on the primary programs of the District, and serve as an honorary member on any other committees the District Superintendent may identify and assign.
- Serve on the District Planning and Program Committee, Nominating Committee and Budget Committee.
- Represent the District on the Conference Lay Ministry Team, which is a Directional Team of the Conference.
- Serve as liaison between the District Lay Servant Committee and the District.
- Attend as many functions as possible that are District and Conference related.
- Develop relationships between the District office and local church lay leaders.
- Develop Associate Lay Leaders to assist the District Lay Leader in all duties that 2016 Book of Discipline defines.
- District Lay Leaders are required to attend a minimum of two Conference Lay Ministry Team meetings in a calendar year and to attend Annual Conference.
Recognizing that all Districts are unique, any additional requirements of a District Lay Leader's job description will be added at the discretion of the District Superintendent and the District Lay Leader subject to review as needed.
Discover, Develop and Deploy Spiritual Leaders to Make Disciples of Jesus Christ for the Transformation of the World.