Our vision in the North Alabama Conference is spiritual leaders empowering life-giving congregations to transform the world. Our mission is to discover, develop and deploy spiritual leaders to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world. This vision and mission is front and center in everything that the North Alabama Conference operational team and appointive cabinet do, including appointment-making.
The appointment-making cycle is a year-round process. Though pastors are often re-appointed for another year, all appointments are made on an annual basis. When a match between a church and clergy is effective, a long tenure is usually preferable.
Major components of the appointment-making cycle include:
- Prayer throughout the year for moving pastors, receiving churches and the appointment process;
- Late summer and fall district superintendent consultations with clergy about plans for reaching others for Christ, metrics, church health and move/stay discernment;
- Fall/winter district superintendent consultations with staff-parish relations committees (SPRCs) of congregations in the moving picture about their church’s strengths and challenges as well as pastoral leadership qualities important in their context;
- Fall/winter SPRC orientations by district superintendents and/or bishop;
- January/February interviews with clusters of District Superintendents and individual clergy anticipating a possible move;
- A series of 3-4 appointive cabinet retreats to make appointments for the upcoming Conference year;
- A moving clergy retreat to focus on transitions.
This year’s appointment-making calendar is below. If you have questions about any aspect of it, feel free to contact your district superintendent.
- 1st appointment-making retreat: February 11-16
- 2nd appointment-making week: March 11-15
- 3rd appointment-making meeting: March 27-29
- 4th appointment-making meeting: April 3 (if needed)
- District superintendents contact moving clergy: April 5
- District superintendents call staff-parish relations committee chairs of churches in moving picture: April 6
- Announce and post appointments online: April 8
- Moving pastor retreat: April 22-24
- Transition Sunday: June 24
- Moving day: June 27
- First Sunday in new appointment: July 1
Thank you for your prayers for clergy and churches anticipating moves as well as the appointive cabinet as we prayerfully discern appointments for the 2018-19 conference year. My prayer is that our appointments will move us toward our vision and mission and also serve North Alabama Conference churches and clergy well.
As always it is a privilege to serve as your bishop.
North Alabama Conference