I love the fall season for many reasons, including the North Alabama Conference “Days in the Districts.” Spending a day per District every fall listening, learning and dialoguing has been a highlight of my six years in ministry among you.
Across the years the “Days in the Districts” have given me the opportunity to:
- get acquainted with many North Alabamians;
- discuss with clergy and laity the proposed vision, mission and values of North Alabama Methodism;
- share updates about our North Alabama Conference movement toward our vision and mission;
- observe District operational teams in action;
- and converse with North Alabama Methodists about the work of the Commission on a Way Forward.
I have two goals for this fall’s seventh round of North Alabama Conference Days in the District.
- I will meet with District leadership to hear updates on how we are progressing toward our vision and mission. The North Alabama Conference vision is “spiritual leaders empowering life-giving congregations to transform the world.” Our mission is “to discover, develop and deploy spiritual leaders to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.” Our effectiveness in reaching our vision and mission is the best predictor we have of the future of North Alabama Methodism.
- The North Alabama Conference delegation, District op teams and I will host an “equip the equipper” Commission on a Way Forward report the evening of each of this fall’s Days in the District. Participants will receive tools for holding informational sessions in their own ministry contexts about the Commission on a Way Forward report. All interested persons are invited to these 75-90 minute evening segments which will include a recap of the Commission on a Way Forward and Council of Bishops work . . . a segment about how participants can share with North Alabama delegates their perspectives on matters related to the 2019 General Conference . . . and a prayer and praise time.
Please check with your District Office for specific times of the District leadership meetings as well as the Commission on a Way Forward evening sessions. The District days are:
Central - Monday, October 15
Cheaha - Tuesday, September 25
Mountain Lakes - Tuesday, October 30
Northeast - Tuesday, October 2
Northwest - Monday, October 29
South Central - Monday, September 24
Southeast - Monday, October 1
Southwest - Thursday, September 27
Yes, the Days in the District are highlights for me each fall. You, the United Methodists of North Alabama, are the primary reason for this. Your vision for the future of North Alabama Methodism and your desire to reach others for Christ are inspiring! I look forward to being with many of you in coming weeks. As always, it is a privilege to serve as your bishop.
North Alabama Conference