Sumatanga's McKinney-Atkins Conference Center suffers small fire

April 10, 2006

Sumatanga Camp and Retreat Center Executive Director Anne Horton reports that this morning, April 10, there was a small fire on the second floor of the McKinney-Atkins Conference Center.

 

After talking with the fire department, she said the fire was started when one of the three lights in the chandler located in the second floor hallway shorted out and sparked. The spark hit a sofa which then ignited. The sofa was sitting against a rock wall.

The fire has been put out and damages are being assessed. The damage appears to be mainly smoke and water damage.

Sumatanga staff and trustees are waiting for the building to be inspected by insurance adjusters. Horton says she anticipates the building will need new floor in some spots upstairs; some sheet rock replaced due to water damage caused by the buildings sprinkler system; and the handrails at the top of the stairs replaced to ensure their safe functioning.

Discover, Develop and Deploy Spiritual Leaders to Make Disciples of Jesus Christ for the Transformation of the World.