Journey to 2012 General and Jurisdictional Conferences dialogue session scheduled for Thursday of Annual Conference
On Thursday, June 3, 2010, at 4 p.m. there will be a dialogue session for Potential Clergy and Lay Delegates to the 2012 General and Jurisdictional Conferences of the United Methodist Church. The session will be in the ClearBranch UMC worship center. Gloria Holt and Dr. Bill Morgan will be the facilitators.
Topics for discussion include:
- Basic Introduction to the United Methodist General Conference Meeting
- Basic Introduction to the Southeastern Jurisdictional Conference Meeting
- Petitioning General Conference
- Serving on the North Alabama Delegation
- Qualifications for delegates
- Responsibilities for delegates
- Number of delegates sent by the North Alabama Conference
- Process for electing delegates at the 2011 Annual Conference Session
- Issues likely to come before the 2012 General Conference
- Open microphone to identify issues important to the North Alabama Conference
General Conference, which convenes every four years, is the top policy-making body of The United Methodist Church. Church law states that no person or organization except the General Conference has authority to speak officially for the denomination. The General Conference is an international body of 600 to 1,000 delegates that meets every four years. Equal numbers of lay and clergy delegates are selected from each annual conference. Every annual conference is guaranteed one lay and one clergy delegate. General Conference 2012 will be April 25-May 4, 2012 in Tampa, Florida.
In the United States of America, The United Methodist Church is divided into five areas known as jurisdictions: Northeastern, Southeastern, North Central, South Central and Western. These provide some program and leadership training events to support the annual conferences. Every four years the jurisdictional conferences meet to elect new bishops and select members of general boards and agencies. The Southeastern Jurisdictional Conference will be July 11-15, 2012 at Lake Junaluska, North Carolina.
During Annual Conference 2011, members of the North Alabama Conference will elect lay and clergy delegates to the General and Jurisdictional Conferences.
All North Alabama Conference members and other interested North Alabama United Methodists are invited to attend this session to learn more about the General and Jurisdictional Conferences as well as to learn about the delegate election process in North Alabama.