On March 5, 2011, the United Methodist Church in Lithuania celebrated the 110th anniversary of its founding and the 100th anniversary of the church building in Kaunas. It was known as the Mother Church of Methodism in Russia, since at the time of the congregation’s founding in 1900 and the dedication of the Kaunas church building on January 14, 1911, Lithuania was a part of Imperial Russia. The church is featured on the cover of a new book, A Pictorial History of Kaunas United Methodist Church 1900–1944 with a Photo Gallery of Early Lithuanian Methodism and the Renewed United Methodist Church 1995–2011, by Dr. S T Kimbrough, Jr., a retired member of the North Alabama Conference. The book is a bilingual publication in Lithuanian and English.
In 1994 Kimbrough was the head of the Mission Evangelism Ofï¬ÂÂÂce of the General Board of Global Ministries and he, along with colleague W. James White, pioneered the rebirth of Methodism in Lithuania. He relates the story of the birth and rebirth of Methodism in this book, which is ï¬ÂÂÂlled with documents and photographs the author gathered through research in the National Archives of Lithuania and Russia and the Methodist Archives at Drew University in Madison, NJ. It is an inspiring mission story of the Lithuanian saints of Methodism in the past and present, their sufferings and trials, their joys and triumphs. One meets many of them face to face (in photographs) and learns of their inspiring witness to Christ and the church in this publication.
The book was presented to Bishop Christian Alsted, Bishop of the Nordic and Baltic area of The United Methodist Church, and to all attending the anniversary celebration on March 5, 2011. Deep appreciation is expressed to the General Commission on Archives and History for its support of the translation and publication of this volume. Dr. Kimbrough also delivered a keynote address, “Recollections of a Humble Servant,” via electronic media for the anniversary celebration.
Dr. Kimbrough has also released a new CD entitled Sacred Songs of Bach (from the 1736 Songbook of Georg Schemelli). The songs recorded appeared in the Hymn Book (1736) edited by Georg Christian Schemelli, Cantor at the Palace of Zeitz.
As a singer of Bach, Dr. Kimbrough had the privilege a few years ago to be the ï¬ÂÂÂrst American baritone to appear with the Boy Choir of the Kreuzkirche in Dresden, Germany, when he sang the bass part in Bach’s Christmas Oratorio with Tenor Peter Schreier as the Evangelist. Through numerous recordings he has become known as the leading interpreter of the Viennese School at the turn of the twentieth century, e.g. Schreker, Zemlinsky, Korngold, etc.
For more information visit www.arabesquerecords.com