Annual Conference 2013 to include an evening 5K Run / 1 Mile Fun Walk for Human Need
On Sunday evening, June 2, 2013, after United Methodists from across North Alabama gather for the opening of Annual Conference and worship together, they are invited to lace up their sneakers and participate in the 5K Run / 1 Mile Fun Walk for Human Need sponsored by Mission 2 Gather.
The course for the 5k will be on the campus of Birmingham-Southern College. Participants will gather and will finish in front of the Striplin Fitness Center. Prizes will be awarded for top finishers and top fundraisers. Participants will receive t-shirts while supplies last.
All proceeds raised by the 5k will benefit the Mission 2 Gather mission agencies and mission congregations of the North Alabama Conference who are working together to engage persons in mission and ministry to those in need. Mission 2 Gather was formed several years ago as these mission agencies and congregations started to work collaboratively to better fund the ministries God has called them to do. Mission 2 Gather includes the following:
- Anniston Community Enabler
- Community Church without Walls
- Highlands Community Ministries
- McCoy Adult Day Care
- P.E.E.R., Inc.
- Upper Sand Mountain Parish
- Urban Ministry, Inc.
How you can participate:
There are several ways you can support this fundraising event.
1. Register to participate in the 5K as a runner or walker.
Until May 1, the Early Bird Registration fee (which guarantees you a t-shirt ) is $20. Registration on or after May 2 is $30 and t-shirts will be available on a first-come first-served basis.
- Go to http://northalabamaumc.org/registrations/register/159 to register.
2. Enlist Sponsors
As a runner / walker you are also encouraged to enlist sponsors to help raise funds for Mission 2 Gather. Click to download Sponsorship Form.
- You can also ask your sponsors to donate online using a credit card, debit car or Paypal account and note that the donation should be credited to you. They can make their donation at https://na-reg.brtapp.com/5ksponsor.
3. Make a donation.
As a sponsor, you pledge to donate money in honor of someone’s participation in the 5k. If you don’t know a runner / walker you can also make a general donation to the fundraiser. You decide how much you want to donate.
Donate online at https://na-reg.brtapp.com/5ksponsor
- OR mail a check to 5 K Run/Walk, c/o Highlands UMC, 1045 South 20th Street, Birmingham, AL 35205.
Challenge from the Cabinet
Bishop Debra Wallace-Padgett and the Cabinet encourage support for the Mission 2 Gather agencies and this fundraiser. In that spirit, they have issued a challenge to the Conference. Each District Superintendent and the Bishop have agreed to be a participant in the 5k when a certain number of runners/walkers register or when sponsors raise a certain amount of money.
A District Superintendent will participate:
- when 15 people from his or her district register as runners / walkers OR when sponsors within the district raise $1000.
The Bishop will participate:
- when 100 people throughout the conference register as runners / walkers OR the Conference as a whole raises $10,000.
Don’t delay! Register to participate or make a donation today!