The Conference Commission on Archives and History presented the Charter Church Certificate to Jacksonville First UMC on Sept. 15, 2013.
The church was established in December 1832 and has served the community for 180 years. Pastor Rev. John Simmons and Mr. Floyd Tredaway, Historian, received the award from Secretary of the Conference Commission Mrs. Louise Woodall and Chairperson Nell Berry.
Mrs. Woodall attended this church while she was a student at Jacksonville Teacher’s College in 1937 – 1940. She spoke of her experiences and the encouragement she received from members of the church and Rev. Charles Ferrell. Rev. Ferrell also served as the Director of the Wesley Foundation.
The Charter Church Recognition Program is a reminder of churches in existence when the North Alabama Conference was organized in 1870 and still in existence today. For Information on Charter Churches contact the Conference Archives at at (205) 226-4752