All Petitions and Resolutions to come before the 2015 North Alabama Annual Conference should be submitted to Conference Secretary Rev. Clauzell Williams by Sunday, February 1, 2015.
This is in accordance with the North Alabama Conference Standing Rules 2.5 a. which states “Petitions and resolutions to be presented to the Annual Conference must be in the hands of the Conference Secretary no later than February 1 of the calendar year preceding the Annual Conference to which it is submitted.”
Petitions and resolutions should be submitted as a Microsoft Word Document or Google Document and attached in an email to the Conference Secretary at the following email addresses:
email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
Include "Petitions and Resolutions" in the subject line and request a "read receipt" to ensure delivery.
Procedure for Petitions and Resolutions
The procedure for Petitions and Resolutions coming before the North Alabama Annual Conference is fully described in section 2.5 of the Conference Standing Rules.
Below is a brief overview of that process:
- Petitions and resolutions are submitted to the Conference Secretary no later than Feb. 1.
- The Conference Secretary then promptly submits a copy of each petition/resolution to the Convenor of the Committee on Procedures and Petitions.
- The Committee on Procedures and Petitions reviews each petition/resolution to ensure compliance to all applicable rules including the United Methodist Book of Discipline and the North Alabama Conference Standing Rules.
- The Committee refers each petition/resolution to the conference committee or team whose mission is related to the subject matter of the petition/resolution. That group will then study and make a thorough and prayerful consideration of the petition/resolution and shall make a recommendation.
- Recommendations are given to the Conference Director of Connectional Ministries at least 10 business days prior to the opening of Annual Conference and will be distributed to all members of the Conference prior to the first business session of the Conference.
Additionally, in order to provide opportunity for Christian conferencing concerning petitions/resolutions, all persons and groups submitting any petition/resolution are asked to cooperate with the Committee on Procedures and Petitions and the District Superintendents in making resources available to the members prior to the Annual Conference. This may include presentations or workshops in connection with the PreConference district meetings or other forums in which the petitions/resolutions can be discussed and considered prayerfully by members in advance of the Annual Conference.
The 2015 North Alabama Conference will gather on the campus of Birmingham-Southern College from May 31 through June 2, 2015.
Note about petitions to the 2016 General Conference
General Conference is the top policy-making body of The United Methodist Church. It meets once every four years. The 2016 General Conference will meet at the Oregon Convention Center on May 10-20, 2016.
The Book of Discipline ¶507 says “Any organization, clergy member, or lay member of The United Methodist Church may petition the General Conference….” Petitions to the 2016 General Conference should be submitted to the secretary of the General Conference between April 1 and Oct. 13, 2015. For instructions for submitting petitions to the 2016 General Conference go to www.umc.org/who-we-are/instructions-for-submitting-petitions-to-2016-general-conference
Therefore, any petition to the 2016 General Conference an individual or group wishes to be endorsed by the North Alabama Annual Conference should be submitted to North Alabama Conference Secretary Rev. Clauzell Williams by the Feb. 1 deadline.